Sand and gravel had to be dredged from the borrow area Sora-Tonttu and transported over a distance of 18 km through the future access channel to the new container port of Vuosaari. Reclamation then followed for the development of the harbour zone.
The successful solution included:
• Dredging 2.45 million m³ of sand and gravel from the Marine Borrow Area Sora-Tonttu.
• The transport of the dredged materials over a distance of approximately 18 km via the access channel to the future port of Vuosaari.
• Pumping of the dredged materials in four reclamation areas.
• The Stationary Suction Hopper Dredger ‘Uilenspiegel’ was equipped with an XXL suction tube configuration.
• Soundings of the Marine Borrow Area of Sora-Tonttu and of the top level of the completed fillings in the four reclamation areas.
• All tests required by quality assurance such as overflow water sampling and particle size distribution tests.